September 03, 2008

Jimmy got crappy gas mileage

And I don't care.

The last two months, my average gas mileage has plummeted 5-9 mpg.
However, the last two months, I've gassed up exactly: twice.
All due to my incredible lack of driving since early July, slugging to work most days, or even just toodling ten miles up the road to the Metro stop, not allowing my car to warm up enough to turn the battery on...maybe just as I'm pulling into the park'n'slug lot. It'll get worse in the colder weather. We usually drive the minivan on weekend, so the Hybrid just doesn't get much of a workout. But compare the last three summers (early June to early September):

2006: 4,615 miles traveled, 14 fillups, spending $444.47 at an average cost of $2.84
2007: 3,858 miles traveled, 11 fillups, spending $346.41 at an average cost of $2.69
2008: 1,546 miles traveled, 5 fillups, spending $225.45 at an average cost of $3.72

Granted, I was driving back and forth to Norfolk all summer in 2006, but still. Fortuitous timing letting someone else's fingers do the walking, as it were, with gas prices so stratosphophical.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoy reading your blogs. Slugging really does pay off. Saves us gas money, putting wear and tear on our cars and much, much more! :-) Sorry I've been such a stranger lately. Things are starting to calm down. Sis is doing better. She's going to be all right.

Hope the family is doing better.

~Kim Fox

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home