June 17, 2006

June 10th-12th -- Talk to me, Goose

Cleaning took longer than expected, and I was still vacuuming when I received the call that they were out front. Ran downstairs, slapped the Colonel a high-five, dove in to kiss the wife and poked my head in the back seat to see my son and mother-in-law. More my son. She understands.
The Fouldses stayed in the St Clair Lofts 2-bedroom model apartment for the weekend, and as it had a lot more space than my place, we hung out in there a lot. After a quick bottle of vino, we strolled over to the Oregon District and had dinner at Cafe Boulevard, which my Academic Advisor had recommended to me. A European-themed restaurant with ties to Germany, I amazingly bypassed the wienerschnitzel to join everyone in a gallette, kind of like a crepe only much much better. Ryan was in rare form, very well behaved, enjoying himself, loving the "Where's Ryan" game under his napkin, and even grabbed the waitress' hiney for good measure. My boy.

Sunday was a gloomy, rainy day, so we spent a lot of it on a driving tour of Dayton, to include the neighborhood where the Wright Brothers grew up, then contrasting that with where they ended up (the Hawthorne Hill mansion, plus a bunch of other ridiculously opulent castle/homes in that area), down to Centerville for some ice cream, then up to the Air Force Museum to recon the graduation location, since I wouldn't be able to show them where to go the night of (I had to report an hour earlier). Dinner at Abuelo's with the Smiths, who had loaned us a stroller and a Pack N Play (which in our case was an Unpack and Stackstuffon, but at least we tried), was muy Mexican. If you're into that, and everyone else was, so hue jolanda di serpico.

Monday was just gorgeous, perfect for a stroll around town, specifically the Riverscape walk and lunch on Main Street. After various nap attempts in the afternoon, a friend from AFIT (and Minot) joined us for Irish dinner fare at the Dublin Pub back down the other end of the Oregon District. Back at my apartment, Ainsley tried to get Ryan to sleep while I put my uniform together for graduation -- it had been so long since I had worn service dress, I had all new badges and ribbons I needed to line up. Good thing I had my wife around to dress me.

Still teething like crazy mad, Ryan's sleep patterns over the visit left a lot to be desired. Well, just one thing, really. We took his every-2-hours awake spurts in shifts (heavily weighted towards her), so we probably looked like a couple zombies by the time Tuesday rolled around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home