May 22, 2007

Nice to be Bored

It's amazing how easy it is to get back into the swing of things at work when you don't really have all that much to do for another five and a half weeks.
My Rotation Manager checklist doesn't kick in until June 29th, so I'm free to twiddle my thong all day, catching up with old correspondence, Russian Rosetta Stone (window=Okna), on-line ancillary training, and that Resist-A-Ball at the gymnasatorium. I've also signed up for Air War College by correspondence. Hopefully I can knock the majority of that out before the new baby comes and gets all distracty.

Saturday we took a break from the household mashugana to host a small reunion of old squadron mates from my first Colorado Springs job in 4 SOPS. I'd invited over 40 people from up and down the Eastern Seaboard, but expected at least 20 or so from the immediate local area to come -- I'd sent out a Milstar-laden e-vite back on April 5th so people would have plenty of time to deconflict their schedules. But except for the guy going to his son's West Point graduation and the other guy going to Iraq, I was really surprised by the number of people who didn't want to come. All told, I only had about 10 RSVPs, and then two of those didn't show up anyway. So it was a small gathering of six or seven of us with spouses and kids pushing the number up to 18. Ryan had a couple tots his age to run around with, plus a blue star balloon tied to his belt loop, so he was golden. It's just sad when not everyone knows his signs, as when he wanted a bite of a little girl's cookie, and was *please*ing the hell out of the front of his shirt.
I hadn't seen some of these folks in over ten years, so it was money well spent, and a fraction of what I paid for a similar, larger reunion in Colorado three years ago. Not sure why I enjoy military reunions so much. One guy labeled me the unit historian, so that must be it.

I got my teeth cleaned today by an eighty-year-old woman who loved to induce pain by water-picking my gums at close range while telling me to "relax my chin". So this is a friendly after-school special reminder to everyone out there to floss. At least seven times a day.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So we're announcing it to people other than family and "close friends"* now?

*whatever that meant

1:26 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

only very subtly.

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home