November 11, 2007

Thank the hell out of a Veteran.

Couple of quotes for you. Here's me, July 8th, 2001, in an old e-mail I just found written in Turkey a few days before I left:


Last night, my troops took me out to dinner in "the village" and gave me some lovely parting gifts, including a couple urinal cakes. (Long story.) I thanked them for their hard work and their service to their country, an especially difficult concept to consider when one isn't currently living in that particular country. I reminded them that I was just going to another place, and I'd still be working with them, in the best job in the world, serving in the best military in the history of the planet. And there wasn't a dry eye in the house. Since eyes are pretty moist 24/7 anyway. Basic biology. Tear ducts and whatnot.

Sticking with the American theme of the week, this afternoon I braved disaster and drove, in a crappy stick-shift rent-a-Tofas Sahin, to the mall on the other side of town to see "Pearl Harbor" (in English with Turkish subtitles). I'd read and heard almost nothing but bad reviews for it over here, but MAN what a phenomenal movie. Only I don't know what the hell the Japanese were saying because all their subtitles were in Turkish, too.

It was interesting to see how the movie affected the Turkish people in the cinema, 'tsk'ing and sniffing up tears at all the right spots... Not sure how you can see it and not be affected by the horror and sacrifice of the men and women involved. Sure, it's more story than history, but that's what movies are supposed to be. Maybe some of these movie critics need to come live in another country for fifteen months to realize how the film can inspire new levels of admiration and patriotism for this great country of ours. Don't knock it, folks. Don't knock being able to pick up the phone and getting an instant line out. Or getting in your car without looking for wires or fingerprints near the hood. Or leaving your home after 9 pm. Or going out for a slice of pecan pie.

And I hate pecan pie.

I'm just saying. I'll get off my soapbox. Just don't forget where we came from, and what we represent. America isn't the best at everything, and isn't always right, but there's one thing it can truly boast: the glory and honor of freedom. We've earned it in blood.


A second quote, which retired USAF 4-star General Eberhart used in a speech to us at DTRA on Thursday:
"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive the veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation."

- George Washington, 1783

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

STAY ON your soapbox!

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home