June 01, 2008

Third Watch

Sunday started a mite early, but Saturday never really ended for Ainsley, so I can't complain. At 12:35, she'd had all she could stand of Little Miss Sunshine, and brought her into bed with us.
She may as well have hauled in a salmon, what with all the thrashing about and moaning. Or whatever fish do.
I had been somewhat asleep for about two hours, and knew we weren't going to be able to coax, coerce, or bribe Erin into lalaland, so I took her out to the next best thing: TVLand. Figured if she was wide awake, she'd enjoy some VH1 Classic, "The Fugitive", SportsCenter, etc. LOVE channel-surfing while walking around the basement with a sack of potatoes, confusing the cats (who didn't seem to appreciate all the excitement).
At about 1:45, her fussiness would not be moved by different positions or motions, so I went upstairs and defrosted an Ainsley Bube Blanc circa March, and after chugging that down and releasing a hearty belch, she fell asleep in my arms.
Now what.
Who knows how long this will last, so sway back and forth, sway back and forth...
After about twenty minutes, I slid backwards into the Redskins chair, able to keep her asleep. An hour later, when I could no longer stand how itchy my ear was (the torture of parenthood!), i slowly freed a hand -- also allowed more rapid surfing, but honestly, why change the channel when you've got great(ish) 80s Hair Metal Bands all night? AC/DC, Kix, Keel, Ozzy, Warrant, Def Leppard, Dokken.
Apparently, Erin didn't approve, since I looked down and she had placed a fist over her exposed ear.
Glad she was aleep, though, and missed all those "Girls Gone Wild" advertisement. Don't want her getting any bad ideas.
About quarter to four my back couldn't stand the arch it was in any more, so I braved standing up, and was actually able to get Erin all the way upstairs and into her crib, asleep.
She promptly woke up thirty minutes later.
But still. Ainsley got a skoshe more sleep than she normally would have. We'll have to schedule this rotational sanity check again someday.
Hung out at home all morning, then had a lovely soda & cheese lunch on the back porch -- Erin even had her first food to gnaw on, a carrot, like Ryan two years ago.
Back to the library in the afternoon, after a long, detouring, sweaty bike ride around the neighborhood I'm sure the fellow patrons in the Quiet Room appreciated. Pew! And let me tell you how interesting the National Military Strategy is on four hours' sleep. Raced home to mow the lawn before it rained, changed the filters in the hot tub, and further cut a big branch I felled last week into smaller, fireplaceable sections -- Ryan even got to move the saw with me. It took a while. "I do it I do it..." I tried to equate the motion to brushing his teeth, but he doesn't do that every well, either. What he does do well is take any two sticks, put them on his head, and say, "I'm a Reindeer!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home