August 09, 2006

Larded Lightning

After a two-week delay (due to rain one week and excessive heat another), we finally had our second softball game on Monday. We were a little rusty, but jumped ahead early and I was enjoying my position as the "Rover", the softball-specific position midway between the outfield and the infield. I was involved in over a dozen plays, and coupled with going 3-for-4 at the plate (all doubles!), I was pretty pooped by the end. But it was fun. I came up to bat in the top of the 7th inning, down by 3 runs, 2 outs, 2 runners on, and was able to smack the ball into my favorite spot in the far right field corner and clear the bases. The next guy knocked me in, and we had gallantly tied the game, only to lose it in the bottom half.
Several people nicely complimented my play, but someone had the audacity to accuse me of having "wheels," which of course made me think, well, sure:
As per usual, I was more sore two days after the game than the day after, but we have another makeup game today, so we'll see how much air I have in the tires.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home