July 12, 2008

Took them out to this..."ball" game

Next task on this weird list of taxpayers pay me to do? Go to a baseball game.
I still didn't have e-mail access established (after three days), so I wasn't getting much done, other than entertain the NCO with my ability to wiggle one or both ears. But at 4, I got to don my gay apparel, Washington Nationals-style, to take a dozen or so attaches and families to, in many cases, not just Nationals Stadium for the first time, but their first baseball game ever.
After enjoying a huge buffet of burgers, dawgs, sawsages, chili, salads, watermelon, and cookies in one of the conference rooms, we let the attaches go explore the stadium and find their way back to our seats, on the 2nd level all the way down the left-field line.
I was looking forward to standing between the Turks and the Portuguese to explain the infield-fly rule, but ended up close to the Australian family of four, also rookies, but with nary a question. I did end up telling the boss' daughter what a 'slugging percentage' is.
We were a little worried going in, since the Nationals are statistically the worst team in baseball, but the Houston Astros aren't beating down any playoff doors, either, and we managed to squeak out a 10-0 victory. It was actually a very long (3+ hours), slow game, with the occasional homerun and the 5-run 6th to keep us going. It was slow enough that I yelled at the jumbotron when it showed some guy during 'wave your hat!' time who was spinning his hat half-assed while talking to his son next to him ("You're Not Even Looking!!") and then got into an argument with a coworker who insisted that ice cream in French is "creme glacee /cdemm glassay/" when I remembered it as simply "glace /glass/" She was rather insistent, but I explained to her that in the movie "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" they kidnapped Napoleon himself, who called it "la glace."
She said, "He was Corsican, not French."
I more enjoyed watching the foreign families' reaction to the between-inning antics, the Presidential Mannequin Race, the wave, the T-shirt-shooting bazooka, the Seventh Inning Stretch, the fireworks. So besides some double-A American A-holes throwing a cup of ice from the third deck onto the Croatian and his wife, it was a fun time. But I didn't get home until just before midnight. That's a long day's work! And doubly sad, since I didn't get to see Ryan all day. :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home