May 25, 2009

Home Alonish

A couple weekends ago, I brought the kids over to my dad's to hang out and eat open-faced and slimy-hands peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and kick the ball and push the "That was Easy" button and run around in a circle, having so much fun that when it was time to go home for nap, Ryan didn't want to leave, close to tears. He locked on to something my dad mentioned about sleeping over some night after he retires, and begged to let him stay and take a nap. We gave it a try, and it worked splendidly, to the point of Ryan waking up halfway through to let Grandad know he had to take the Browns to the Super Bowl, if you follow, and then going back to bed and falling asleep some more.

With that successful trial, we decided to ask my dad to let Ryan spend the night so we could go out and celebrate our anniversary and leave our babysitter with only one mouth to shoosh. We packed his Bob the Builder Backpack(TM), as he declared "I'm going on a trip!" He was just adorable bounding up the front sidewalk to my dad's, waving us g'bye, seeming to know that he was going to be spoiled rotten with yummy desserts and hot dogs for breakfast, or whatever grandads do behind closed doors.

My wife and I had coincidentally both found a new French restaurant near Occoquan, a stone's roll down the hill from my dad's, called "Bistro L'hermitage", and we had a lovely four-course meal that took over two and a half hours to enjoy, including a third dessert the owner brought us on a red heart-shaped plate sporting a lit candle. It was wonderful to not be rushed, to not have to worry about Erin being (hands waving in the air) "awl da!", to chat about life. And mangle French on the menu.

We had planned on going to see a movie, as per our once-a-year-opportunity tradition, but we were tired enough that we just went home, Ainsley pouting a mother's lip, missing her little boy something fierce. As it was, she worried all night and ended up getting up at 4 (after being awake since 2:45) and completing little projects around the house to get her mind off things. Or at least that's what she told me, as I slept past 6.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home