May 27, 2009

Blot on the Landscape

I was invited to the British Embassy last night by His Excellency the Ambassador and his wife the Lady -- I thought everyone in the office got an invite, as these invitations usually come in (I still get ones addressed to the person I replaced last July). But it seems these were more personal invites, thanking folks from various government and commercial agencies who have supported the Brits over the past year. Unfortunately, the two attaches I know very well weren't there, so I ended up hanging out with the only fellow I did know, a USAF officer who works on the International Affairs side of the house. We explored the gardens, ate finger food passed around, admired the basset hound rubbing his bottom on the cobblestone patio. The place was a mansion, like something transported from East Anglia via helicopter and plopped into the middle of Massachusetts Ave. I wondered if the employees drove on the left once they got inside the gates. No one seemed to have a good answer for that, even a bloke I met from the Foreign Service Office aptly named Clive, who nevertheless tried to get me a sausage roll from a waitstaff member, impressed as he was by both my accidental slight accent (can't help it when I'm around 'em all) as well as my longing for a good pork pie.
Just not the same, Clive.

It was early enough that Ryan was still awake when I got home, so I surprised him when he called for Mommy to bring him some more water. I hope I can someday record his genuine, happy, "hi" when I come home. Twice, even, he said it. "hy-ee.." he says with a funny accent. I could stand to hear that forever. As it is, my voicemail at work only keeps his "I pooped in the potty!" messages on the system for two weeks.

The lad is also standing up to pee, thank you very much, so we're learning about the difference between gravity and aiming.

Not to be outdone, Erin can identify a circle out loud when properly shown one.
There's another thing I need to get on tape.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home