April 19, 2008

Carded!

Me! A robust thirty-seven year-old! Ordered a beer, and St. Paulie Girl wanted to see my ID! How adorable!
Until she checked the IDs of the people next to me who looked a hundred and three. Must be an airport thing.
Friday was a day of outbriefs to the 3-star general and his merry gang of thieves also wearing tons of stars. Our group's went the quickest, which meant that the senior leaders didn't have many issues with our report, unlike the hour-long gab/critique sessions other groups had to endure, one of which was led by a civilian in altogether inappropriate "Friday casual" attire named Mr. DeVorss, who, if you can believe his bling, is ironically married.
I scooted out at 3 to be able to change clothes at the gym and get to the airport without any issues. Found a "Mandatory Metallica" segment on a local rock station, something I miss immensely from C-Springs. Who knew "Seether" had a new song out? Doesn't get reported in TIME a lot. Got a little depressed when I gassed up, since the guy next to me was making goo-goo face with his toddler in the back seat, who was grinning up a storm thinking daddy was the cooolest ever and not even knowing how wrong he is that the coolest ever was filling up the PT Cruiser in the Redskins shirt.
There was some traffic on Bayshore Blvd, as well as Interbay Blvd and Bay to Bay Blvd (guess where I was!), but I still got through car rental return and then the airport in plenty of time -- to see the flight was delayed at least an hour. Hence the beer.
Got home at 11:30, in bed at 1, not asleep, thanks to miss happy paws, until after 2.
Dogs up at 6:45. Spurting and farting and carrying on. At least they weren't waking up any of the kids. Let them out, then set my alarm for 8 to make sure I didn't sleep the day away, whichicooda.
Gorgeous day, allowing me to hang out in the back yard for over eight hours draining, cleaning, and filling my hot tub and prepping a 100-square ft patch to beat the odds and grow grass for the first time in over twenty years. Should be a fun four-week project of watering and hope. Dad and I hit a brazilian-style charbroil grill ("ham-stuffed turkey wrapped in bacon carved off a sword that smells like a steak?" "Yes, please."), which was odd for both of us without wee ones to attend to. Adult conversation! Who knew!
I miss unadult conversation about where things are and what color they are and how fun it would be to not stick that there. Plus I need to thank Ryan for thoughtfully leaving me a very-Daddy-specific plastic toy food dinner on the table in the sunroom before he left for the barn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home