April 20, 2008

Too much of a good thing

Spent several hours yesterday raking, soiling, fertilizing, and seeding the barren area next to the back deck.
Today it rained for eight hours straight, washing away most of my work down to North Carolina.
Double-G rrr, as Pooh's friend spells the back half of his name.
Also had a fun time getting drenched on the roof, as I noticed some of my gutters overflowing in spots, so I had to crawl out there and release the clutter. Realized one downspout was clogged, so I got down there, changed into dryer shoes and shirt, and jiggled away at the bottom of the spout ... causing it to break apart a yard from the top, which sure cleared the pathway, let me tell you. All over me.
Good thing it was warm out.
Pulled it to the side of the house and was able to dislodge a good gallon's worth of mud that had caked up in there* before putting all the parts and pieces back together.

*poor choice of words to use when relaying the story at dinner. Ryan: "Cake, please?"

Yes, the family is back as one again. A long week apart, but I got a ton done with the house, with only a minor hammer claw injury to the back of my shoulder and a near-miss to the fatherlands, if you get my drift. But it was so good to see Ryan, who seemed a little overwhelmed himself. Whispering hellos through smiles. Seemed to appreciate the seashell I got him, though. Grandad had expressed how much he missed them, too, so we invited him over to walk the dogs (which we skipped, since we don't have five umbrellas and Dover keeps dropping his anyway) and have some enchiladas for dinner. During which Ryan played peekaboo with his sister. Such a good big brother.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home